Sherdog Less than one month out from UFC 175, Chael Sonnen has reportedly failed a random drug test administered in the state of Nevada and will no longer fight Vitor Belfort. Nevada Athletic Commission Chairman Francisco Aguilar confirmed the report to ESPN.com on Tuesday. The article also adds that Ultimate Fighting Championship officials have acknowledged the failed test. The NAC reportedly tested Sonnen last month during a stint in Las Vegas, when the “UFC Tonight” analyst was set to attend a UFC press conference. The reported results from the failed test show that Sonnen tested positive for two illegal substances: Anastrozole, which is typically utilized to treat and prevent early stages of breast cancer, and Clomiphene, which is mainly used for cases involving female infertility. It is likely that Sonnen will face a suspension for the failed test; whether the punishment comes from Zuffa or the NAC has yet to be seen. This is not the first time Sonnen has faced troubles involving failed drug screenings, In 2010, the self-proclaimed “American Gangster” tested positive for elevated testosterone-to-epitestosterone levels before a UFC middleweight title fight against Anderson Silva.
Chael Sonnen was originally supposed to fight Wanderlei Silva at UFC 175, and after months of trash talking and a season of The Ultimate Fighter: Brazil between the two, Silva allegedly ran out of the gym to avoid a random drug test. As Wanderlei explained it at the time:
“This is all a big confusion. Everything I’ve heard, I heard it just like you, from the Internet. Last Saturday, a guy showed up at my gym with several papers in English saying that I had to sign the papers. I asked him if all of the documents were written in English, and he said yes. He did not show me any identification, so I told him that I can’t read English very well, and I would need my lawyer present to be able to sign any documents. Then, I had to leave, because it was the day of [Renan] Barao’s fight [at UFC 173], and I was really busy here in Vegas.”
– Wanderlei Silva
At the time of Wanderlei’s removal from the UFC 175 card, and Vitor Belfort being named his replacement, Chael Sonnen said the following:
“Wanderlei has operated his entire career under the shadow of suspicion that he was using performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs). However, he has never failed a drug test so we don’t speculate on those types of things. That clean record came to a screeching halt on Saturday night. Not only did he fail his test, he refused to take a [drug] test. And as you know, a refusal is equal in the eyes of the commission to a failure… He ran from the test and I don’t mean that figuratively — they came to his gym and he literally ran, goes out of sight, and they go after him saying his name. I have not spoke to [NSAC], but I am going to speculate that they will revoke his license and perhaps his career with UFC will be done…. As for myself, I still will participate on the pay-per-view (PPV) on July 5. But, the stakes are up: I am now fighting for a No. 1 contender match, the winner of my match will take on the winner of Chris Weidman vs. Lyoto Machida, and my opponent is Vitor Belfort.” – Chael Sonnen
At best, Chael Sonnen now looks like a liar and a hypocrite, and he will have a lot of making up to do to Dana White and the UFC fans following this shocking news.