I don’t typically buy the contract year hype, but this season there is a group of players that I think will go alot further than years past to ensure a big pay day. Whether it be gutting out games when semi hurt or extending plays at the risk of injury, all those stats add up for fantasy owners.
1. Kenny Britt – WR – Tenn: Britt is a rare physical talent and has shown the world what he can do on the field when he is healthy. With an ADP of 111.3, Britt has top 10 WR upside and millions of dollars may be just enough to motive him to keep his head on straight and stay on the field. Reports out of Titans camp have been very positive on Britt.
2. Hakeem Nicks – WR – NYG: Another WR who has shown the ability to finish a season top 10 at his position. Nicks is only injury concern away from being drafted as a #1 WR in most leagues. With a potential pay day on the horizon, I think Nicks guts out minor injuries and spends more of his time on the field catching balls from Eli. ADP: 55.6
3. Michael Vick – QB – PHL: Sure, Vick is getting up there in age (33) and is always an injury concern. But with an ADP of 114.5, and a new offense that will focus on the run… what other QBs taken that late have the ability to finish top 5 at their position? Vick has been lights out this preseason. I’m very cautiously starting to buy in.
4. Brandon Pettigrew – TE – DET: If you are waiting on TE, I like Pettigrew in PPR leagues. He constantly catches balls from Stafford (though isn’t much of a red zone threat). Heading into a contract year, I think we’ll see Pettigrew give a bit more on the field in hopes of cashing in. Value is there too with an ADP of 134.2.
5. Maurice Jones-Drew – RB – JAX: MJD always runs hard when he is on the field. He appears to be fully healthy and this is his last chance at a big pay day in his career. MJD is rising up draft boards but I’ve seen him taken as late as the 3rd round. If you can get MJD as your #2 RB, be very happy with that.
*Keeper League Honorable Mention* Ben Tate – RB – HOU: Tate is in a contract year. Hou will have a tough time resigning him next year unless he moves into a starting role. Either way, expect Tate to start in the NFL next year and be effective. Grab in keeper leagues and stash