2013 NFL Free Agency is underway, that March 12th at 12:01 am deadline was bullshit it appears, because teams are scrambling to sign their own players before they hit the open market and players that were released are able to sign with new teams. Live action right here, check this regularly for updates:
Dunta Robinson signs three year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs – Strong move by the Chiefs, who are upgrading their biggest need positions this offseason quickly, and doing a nice job. Robinson was released by the Falcons, so he signed a deal with the Chiefs, who already look much improved on paper and still have the first pick of the NFL Draft in their pockets.
William Moore signs five year deal to remain with Atlanta Falcons – Moore has always had some injury concerns, but when he is healthy, he is one of the better safeties in football. The Falcons knew that they could not let him test the market, because at just 27 years old, he would have received lots of big money offers.
LeGarrette Blount signs one year deal to remain with Tampa Bay Buccaneers – I was under the impression that the Bucs were going to let Blount walk, but he will spend another season as the backup to impressive rookie Doug Martin.
Logan Paulson signs three year deal to remain with Washington Redskins – Smart move by the Redskins, locking up a solid young tight end who can grow with RGIII.
Ledois McKelvin signs four year deal to remain with Buffalo Bills – I love this move, McKelvin is not a starting cornerback, but he is a capable backup. He also is an outstanding nickel and special teamer, and one of the best return men in the league. Does all of the little things.
Darrell Young sings deal to remain with the Washington Redskins – Underrated lead blocker who paved the way for Alfred Morris’ monster 2012 season. Had to keep him. With RGIII injured they will be running behind him a ton in 2013.
(this is all speculative info and whispers that we are hearing)
– The Baltimore Ravens have told wide receiver Anquan Bolidin “Take a pay cut, or you will be cut” and he is weighing his options. They have done so at hopes of retaining several of their other free agents, including linebacker Darnell Ellerbe and safety Ed Reed. BREAKING NEWS: Anquan Boldin rejects the Ravens offer and is prepared to sign elsewhere. Expect a release soon.
– The Ravens are doing everything they can to lock up their free agent priority, inside linebacker Darnell Ellerbe, but if they do not get a deal done before the deadline they will face stiff competition. His agent said he received a call from a team at 12:01am, the first minute teams could contact agents of impending free agents. No word on who the team was, but I know for a fact the Bills are interested.
– The Miami Dolphins are still in the lead for former Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace, however, The Vikings will make a substantial offer.
– The Buffalo Bills want a wide receiver and have made Greg Jennings a target. Other teams are interested, including Miami and Minnesota, whichever does not get Mike Wallace. UPDATE: Jennings was at the Arizona Cardinals training complex today, according to his twitter, claims it was for Larry Fitzgerald’s charity. Okay, that may be, but let the rumors swirl. Would be incredible as a #2 across from his pal Fitz.
– The Seattle Seahawks, New York Giants, New York Jets and Miami Dolphins have all inquired about future Hall-of-Fame defensive back Charles Woodson.
– Wes Welker will test the open market, and has interest from contenders, including the Denver Broncos and San Francisco 49ers.
– I keep hearing that the New England Patriots are all over Danny Amendola, and see him as a younger, cheaper Wes Welker. If they sign him and let Welker walk, draft him in fantasy football. He may catch 150 balls.
– The Cleveland Browns new regime has made upgrading the pass rush a priority and are in on Cliff Avril and Paul Kruger.
– The Philadelphia Eagles are in on Pro Bowl safety Dashon Goldson and pass rusher Paul Kruger, both would be nice fits in their new 3-4 scheme.
– Still hearing Osi Umenyiora and the Atlanta Falcons makes the most sense for both parties, however, other teams are circling. I have heard the Tennessee Titans are one of them. Osi to Atlanta makes the most sense, he lives there in the offseason and they are contenders.
– Dwight Freeney is from Connecticut and grew up a New York Giants fan, and said playing for the Giants would be a dream, with Osi Umenyiora leaving town the Giants could use a third end between Justin Tuck and Jason Pierre-Paul. Makes sense. Other teams are also interested, including the Seattle Seahawks.
– The Minnesota Vikings are accepting offers on wide receiver Percy Harvin, and they want a first round pick in exchange. They have an offer on the table right now for a second round pick in exchange for Harvin, but will wait until the draft and all offers are in. Percy Harvin wants to be paid like Calvin Johnson, which seems insane to me, he is a solid player, but he is not Megatron.
– I keep hearing that Reggie Bush and the Detroit Lions have mutual interest. Seems to make sense for both parties.
– Tampa Bay Buccaneers defensive end Michael Bennett will be a hot name early in free agency. He is an underrated player who is very strong against both the run and the pass. Word is that he and his brother, Giants tight end Martellus Bennett would like to play together. They are not throwing around terms like “Package Deal” but if you sign one, you’ll have a better shot at the other.
– I am surprised the Buffalo Bills have not done more to retain guard Andy Levitre, who is one of the better young linemen in the league, and is versatile wit the ability to play multiple positions. The Bills want him back, but they must be far apart on numbers, because it looks like they will let him test the market. If I were running the Bills he would be locked up already. Rumor is the Indianapolis Colts will be all over Levitre if he hits the market.
– As we reported this morning James Harrison was released by the Pittsburgh Steelers. How much does he have left in the tank? Maybe not a lot, he was not very good last year, and is 34 years old. UPDATE: Harrison is already garnering interest from several teams. I’ve heard Ravens, Browns, Jets. Browns seem to be after every pass rusher out there.